Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich with Cranberry Chutney
Typically you would use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving to make this classic holiday sandwich however due to COVID this year, not all of us will be enjoying a large bird with friends and family. We decided to make this recipe with a store bought split turkey breast and drumstick, that way if you are not planning on a big Thanksgiving turkey, you can still make it just by picking up a turkey drumstick and split breast from the grocery store. You still make all the fixing to go along with it, stuffing and gravy and then serve it over some toasted French bread with a good dollop of Wozz! Cranberry Orange Cognac Chutney. YUMMMM.... Happy Thanksgiving To All of You!!
- Roasted Turkey Ingredients:
- 1 Large Turkey Drumstick
- 3-4 lb Turkey Breast bone-in
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Stuffing Ingredients:
- 12 oz Dry Stuffing Bread Mix we used store bought Arnold's Herb Cubed Stuffing Brand - but make the stuffing you prefer
- 1 c. Celery Diced
- 1 c. Onion Diced
- 4 Tbsp Butter 1/2 stick
- 2 c. Chicken Stock
- Gravy Ingredients:
- Turkey Drippings From Roasting Pan
- Salt & Pepper
- French Bread sliced 1 inch thick and toasted you can also use sourdough if desired
- Cranberry Sauce Ingredients:
- Wozz! Cranberry Orange Cognac Chutney
- Garnish Ingredients:
- Sage & Parsley for garnish
- Kale blanched for a bit of green if desired - but not necessary
- Roast Your Turkey* - Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rub turkey split breast and drumstick with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in medium sized roasting pan. Roast for approximately 40 minutes (cooking times will vary depending on size, oven, etc). Check internal temperature so it is 165 degrees, or poke with knife at deepest part and make sure juices run clear. If juices do not run clear, roast for additional 5 minutes or so and check again.
- While Turkey is Roasting, Make Your Stuffing - I simply followed package directions on my stuffing mix. We used Arnolds Herbed Cubed Stuffing Dry Mix and stove top instructions are: Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat, add your diced onion and celery, saute for 5 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add stuffing mix to a large bowl and pour hot stock mixture over stuffing. Mix well and fluff with fork.
- Once Turkey Has Finished Roasting, Remove Turkey From Pan, Leave Turkey Drippings in Pan and Make Your Gravy Directly in Roasting Pan. Place roasting pan with turkey drippings on stovetop burner on medium heat. With a wooden spoon, stir 1/3 cup flour, 1 Tablespoon of butter and pan drippings together until it comes together as a light golden roux. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of chicken stock, a little at a time to avoid lumps, until all the stock has been added. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook on medium until bubbling. Once nice and hot, either strain gravy through a strainer to remove lumps before serving or put into a small blender and give it a little blitz. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Slice Your Turkey and Make Your Thanksgiving Sandwich. Add toasted french bread to plate, top with blanched kale (optional), add stuffing, add sliced turkey, drizzle with hot gravy and top with Wozz! Cranberry Orange Cognac Chutney. Garnish with finely chopped parsley and sage if desired. Serve.
*There are many options to cooking your turkey and seasoning it. You can add a cup of stock to roasting pan if desired, you can also cover your turkey with foil to keep from drying out, you can roast it for longer on a lower heat, you can season it with dried sage, poultry seasoning, etc. Everybody has their turkey ways...so roast your turkey how you like or follow package directions. Ready to try this recipe? Get your Wozz! Cranberry Orange Cognac Chutney here.