Dr. Samuel Johnson's Stewed Cheese
The forerunner to Welsh Rabbit sold in Dr. Johnson’s day for a tuppence per plate (3 1/2 cents). John Harman used this recipe for several years in Harman’s recipe booklets.
- 1 heavy pan (or double boiler)
- 2 Tbsp sweet butter
- 1 c. light cream
- 1 1/2 c. Harman’s Really-Aged Cheddar grated
- 2-4 slices un-buttered toast crisp, lightly browned
- Heat to a simmer in a heavy pan (or double boiler) 2 Tablespoons of sweet butter and 1 cup of light cream.
- Stir in 1 and 1/2 cups grated Harman’s Really-Aged Cheddar.
- Serve piping out over crisp lightly browned toast, with mugs of ale.